Thursday, February 3, 2011

If music be the fruit of love...

If music be the fruit of love, my little mango-sized bub is getting a whole lotta love at the moment.

Apparently now the little guy can hear sounds pretty well so I have started to test out which music he likes the best.  Right now I am sitting at the computer with a set of headphones around my belly playing Mozart.  I have to say, Poppet is not such a fan of opera.  He seems to have been lulled into a deep sleep with the symphonies I have played him so far.  Now Fat Freddy's Drop on the other hand (http://www.fatfreddysdrop.com/) was a huge hit.  Poppet started to dance around pretty much as soon as I started playing it - actually in hindsight, I wonder if moving around is good or if he is agitated and telling me to turn it off. Must google.

Speaking of google, my search of the benefits of playing music to your baby revealed a whole raft of studies and not a lot of consensus on whether or not it actually does anything.  Some say that playing music in utero can stimulate the baby and that when it is born it can often remember the sounds it hears for a long time afterwards.  If this is the case, my baby is going to be chilling out to some kiwi tunes all summer long.  Nice.  The other camp basically says it does little and that you shouldn't play music thinking that it will make the baby intelligent - dah!  I'm sticking with the camp that's pro-music.  My sister played live gigs until she was due to pop and her two boys are super keen on music.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else played music to their babies and what the results were...

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. We didn't deliberately play music to Jack when I was pregnant, and he's loved music since he was born...personally, I think babies respond to rhythm regardless of whether you expose them to it in-utero. At least your boy will have good taste, if his current preferences stand =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe for sure. He is currently enjoying a little of the Gotan Project and the best part was when I played him the first chapter of 'Le Petit Prinz'. It was a Frenchman reading it, with a really deep voice, but when the Prinz spoke it was a little boy - bubs totally kicked around everytime the boy started to speak. So funny.

    ReplyDelete