Saturday, June 2, 2012

Using my baby brain to make baby food

As anyone who has children would have already predicted, my aim at baking my way through my Nanna's cook book took a slight detour with the arrival of Otis - otherwise known as the little mouse who never stops moving.  While baking hasn't been completely put on the back-burner it does take on a whole new dimension when you are juggling naps, feedings, nappies and now, a 10month old who wants to lend a hand.  I do have to admit that I am loving the added challenge of mixing with one hand and picking up the spoons and toys Otis chucks at me with the other.  The look of excitement on his face when he sees me peeling fruit (strange child) or using the kitchen whiz makes baking that much more fun.  That being said, my baking has not gone beyond the tried and true cupcake, muffin and carrot cake recipes that I can make without thinking and in a short amount of time.

In an effort to help Oti grow (he's a little guy but a ball of energy who needs a lot of calories), I have read books, gone to nutrition courses, and sat through some very questionable advice from various medical practitioners.  When he started on solids it was all organic, all the time.  Apart from when we are travelling, I have made all of Oti's food from scratch, which has been rather time consuming but surprisingly satisfying.  Unfortunately, as Flo will point out to anyone listening, Otis is growing and eating his gourmet menu while Flo and I are eating a diet of coffee and pasta.  Ah the things you do for your children.

Now that we have moved to Berlin and to our own place, Otis and I have struck up a new relationship with the kitchen.  While I plan new recipes to try, Otis bangs pots on the floor and pulls everything off the shelves.  In fact, as I type, Otis is exploring the bottom shelf and eating a cracker; fluxfm is playing in the background; banana oat teething biscuits are filling the house with the smell of family; and we are enjoying a morning baking on an otherwise miserably cold Saturday.  It's a world away from law and NZ, but it is truly lovely.  



Mixed Vege "curry":


1.  Dice one small red onion.  Cook this on a low heat with a Tbl of either Olive oil or Rapeseed oil; 1/2tsp ground cumin and a clove of crushed garlic, until soft (around 5mins).

2.  When soft, add to the pan one small sweet potato grated or cut into small strips with a mandolin, and one carrot, cut the same way.

3.  Fry the vegetables over a medium heat for a minute or so, then add 1/4-1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/4c water or homemade stock (stock made without salt which a baby cannot process in the amounts in commercial stock).

4.  Cook this on a medium to low heat until soft(anywhere between 15-25mins).  You may need to add more liquids so keep an eye on the pot.  Once the vegetables are soft blend these to a sauce.  The consistency should be dictated by the stage that your little one is at with lumps.

5.  Serve with spelt (dinkel) pasta or rice.

NB:   I haven't done so yet but once a baby is able to eat tomatoes (around one year of age), you could add half a tin of tomatoes with juice in place of some of the water.  Additionally, you can add 1/4-1/2c red organic red lentils at the same time as you add the vegetables.

The inspiration for these recipes came from a healthy start course taken by Dora Meyer.  I highly recommend her courses to anyone in the Munich area - www.healthy-start.net (this website is a great recipe resource for adults and children).

No comments:

Post a Comment