Sunday, May 15, 2011

The "Best Ever Apple Cake"


I love baking and reading about baking in equal measure.  Cookbooks are a relaxing read for me.  I've recently discovered the joys of baking blogs.  There are some fabulous ones out there - they all put my small attempt to shame and then some.

A month or so ago I came across a marvellous blog called 'The Cookie Shop'.  What I was actually looking for was a recipe for a loaf or cake to use up some apples which I had.  The blog provided me with what is described as - for good reason - the "Best Apple Cake of the Whole Wide World".  I am not going to reproduce the recipe here which is either a sign of laziness on my part or the student-learnt fear of plagiarism.  Instead here is the link to the recipe:   http://thecookieshopinenglish.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/best-apple-cake-of-the-whole-wide-world/

I was a bit sceptical when I made it as the mixture is super thick.  In fact, I think I may have added a little bit of milk to it to thin it a bit.  I also greased the tin using the butter/bread crumb technique taught to me by my mother in law (see next post on preparing a fool-proof, stick-proof cake tin).  The cake itself was AMAZING.  Very dense but moist and perfect with a ball of vanilla ice cream or a good helping of cream.

For this cake I used a normal, round cake tin (sorry size escapes me) rather than the ring tin pictured in the recipe.  Sprinkle a generous helping of icing sugar (puder zucker) on top of the cake once cooled.

The cake in all it's glory










As you can see, this cake and a good dollop of cream,
a happy marriage make

 

No comments:

Post a Comment