Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Sherborne Family Cartwheels - aka Sugar Buns

My Grandy is the best baker - second only to my Nanna.  These little beauties are what we lovingly refer to as sugar cartwheels.  Every time Grandy made them they turned out differently.  Most of the time they spread in the oven and were more like biscuits than buns, hence the name cartwheels.  In an effort to make the buns puff up and resemble buns, Grandy was always playing with the recipe.  The recipe as contained in the sacred green recipe book, is covered in amendments in Grandy's hand.  One of them is an adjustment to the liquid and the baking powder amounts.  To my disappointment, some of these amendments actually worked.  I like the cartwheel consistency and have managed (unintentionally) to emulate it every time I bake these.  It does help that the baking powder here in Germany seems a bit under-qualified for actually making anything rise.  I've even gone so far as to get Mum to send me a packet of good ol Edmonds BP in the post.  The lengths I'll go to for baking.

Anyway, these little gems are tasty with a cuppa and are always a good staple in the cupboards for unexpected visitors.  They keeps quite a long time in an airtight container, particularly if you put paper towels in the bottom.

ENJOY!!!

GRANDY'S SUGAR BUNS:
Notice the cartwheel (read 'flat') consistency - Perfecto!



Ingrediants:

1/4 lb Butter
6 ozs Sugar
2 eggs
2 cups Flour
1 Tbl BP (Grandy's amendment)
Vanilla essence
Sultanas (there isn't an amount specified here - I'd say 1/2 - 1 cup depending on your preference)
Sugar for sprinkling

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 F / 175 - 180 C (adjust for fan forced ovens)

1.  Cream butter and sugar.
2.  Add eggs and essence. Mix well until mixture is a light golden colour.
3.  Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
3.  Fold in sultanas.
4. Drop tbl amounts of mixture onto a greased/baking papered board (see picture below).  These will spread so     do not place buns too close together on tray.
Sugar buns all ready for the oven.
5.  Sprinkle sugar on top of each bun.

Bake for 8 - 10mins until buns are slightly golden.




I recommend eating one while they are still warm...mmmmmmmm!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment