Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm a sucker for a little person's face a.k.a how to get mugged in Kigali

So, it is decided, I cannot say no to a child who wants their photo taken.  Although, after Thursday's 'incident' I really should have learnt my lesson.

I was walking home from work and taking photos of what turned out to be a beautiful sunset when I was accosted by a group of children who wanted me to take their photo. Of course, as has always been the case with me and children, I couldn't say no and happily started snapping shots of them and showing them the results. This was a happy situation and a good way for me to meet some of the people who work in the fields below my house, until one of the kids started pulling on my arm and pointing excitedly at one of the other children.  It took a while, and a lot of talking with hands and feet so to speak, but I finally realised that he was trying to tell me that while I was showing the kids their photos, another of the children was opening my bag and trying to steal stuff out of it.  Oy veh.  The only times I've ever had anything stolen is when I am around children.  Honestly, when I was in the Philippines, I had my gorgeous jade pendant that dear Cath gave me stolen from around my neck without me noticing.

Anyway, long story short, after much yelling by some of the adults who came to my rescue I think that I was lucky that day and managed to be spared the pain of having my wallet or laptop stolen.  The funny thing was, when I look back on it, that I am normally very careful about who I tell when I work.  Not so in this situation.  In fact, I even threw in the president's name for good measure and threatened to get him to chase the child to get my stuff back.  Oh the shame...!  Not to mention the fact that I couldn't get the President to help me if I wanted to.  6 degrees of seperation it may be but that doesn't get me much pulling power over theiving street children.

After all that fuss, take a look at some of the shots I got of the children in my neighbourhood and the beautiful sunset.  Just follow the link below the photo:

















These are the people in my neighbourhood...

Ciao
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment