We lost! Oh the horror. But what a boring game! Both teams were too evenly matched and I swear it was the longest dullest 90mins ever. Oh well, in four years time when Mueller is back we should kick some butt. When I say we, I mean the German team of course but I now count myself in the ranks of the fervent Schland supporters. I swear though, I almost punched out one of the girls beside me who griped about every aspect of the game, the bar we were in and everything in-between. In fact, she even had the nouse to go on a rant about the fact that the players being teamed up with children as they took to the pitch made them look like they were paedophiles. I mean really. Paedophiles????? That’s bloody ridiculous. Those little children are given the honour of being at the huge world cup games and all she can look at is the fact that the players shouldn’t be standing close to the children. What has this world come to??? I was disgusted and amazed by the fact that this is what people have been reduced to. Have we become that cynical: that world wary? It doesn’t give me much faith in the state of international workers if those kind of conclusions are jumped to with such ease.
Anyway, what a different experience of the World Cup I've had on two consequitive days. On Wednesday night I watched the game at the Mille Collines with what felt like the entire population of the Netherlands. I didn't realise that I was actually at a private party thrown by the High Commissioner but it certainly explained the free beer and food if you wore orange. Depite my aversion to all things orange, with the exception of fruit and vegetables, I managed to conjure up some orange clothing and supported the Dutch into what I thought would be a Dutch/German final. WRONG!!! I blame Paul. That bloody octopus!
Oh I have to go...the Jehovah's witnesses have arrived and apparently, religious discussion is an appropriate way of spending time at work here. Oy veh!
No comments:
Post a Comment